The Espresso Machine Restoration site
A non-commercial site for those interested in espresso equipment repair and restoration.
|La Marzocco GS2 Solenoid Valve
|Manufacturer: La Marzocco srl., Florence, Italy
Model: GS2, 3 Group, Solenoid, 220V, Single Phase. 4100W (1600+2500)
Approx Date of Manuf: 1981
Date acquired: 15th July 2005
Working condition: Looks ok
Notes: Purchased from Milan
|Over a drink at one of the SCAA after-show parties I was told of this machine that was taking up valuable space at
my friend's company. As soon as I returned from Seattle the negotiations were in full-swing and this machine was
soon on it's way. The fact that it came in a custom gold design was an absolute bonus.
After struggling to rebuild (and find parts) for the manual paddle groups I was somewhat pleased to have to deal
with this, a solenoid group which is 99% the same as current production Lineas.
The machine looks like it should be in good working order. It seems to me that it was just retired and has spent the
past few years gathering dust because as soon as you wipe the dust away it's actually not bad underneath. Almost
everything that is visible to the barista is "gold" plated. The brass steam valves could be that they have been
polished and then covered with a lacquer to prevent oxidation. Another amazing bonus is that the black bakelit
group covers are in perfect condition - the only problem I foresee is that some of the brew switches are in bad shape.
|Update August 2006
Wow has it really been 1 year since I did some work on this machine?? Apart from the GS 1 group and the Smal 1
group I haven't been doing any work on the machines for about a year due to my persistent lower back problems.
Anyway spurred on by a move to a new office where I actually have enough space to display machines I made an
effort to get this machine done. It was partly dismantled at the end of summer 2005 and there he sat in parts bins
waiting to be put back together - the only thing holding him up was the frame which I could only do a little bit at a
time before my sciatica kicked in.
The plan for the machine was as follows:
1. Dismantle completely - completed summer 2005
2. Find a solution for the gold effect on the shiny bits.
3. Find a solution for the brew switches.
4. Strip the frame, rust-proof and paint.
5. Clean all components and rebuild.
7. Pull shots
Again I was a bit lazy with the photos on this machine, and I have only managed to uncover a few :(
|The gold shiny bits
It turns out that all those flashy bits were in fact a combination of gold paint (sheet metal parts) and a clear lacquer
over polished brass (groups, steam valves etc..). What this meant was that nothing matched and looked pretty
horrendous, so I did what any crazy person would do and get real gold plating down on the entire lot. The same
company who did the chrome work on my GS 1 group also took care of this work.
This take us up to end of the Summer 2005.
|This website is created by Paul Pratt, Hong Kong 2004-6. If you would like to use any of the images or text I am sure
I will say yes, but please ask first!
Email me here.